100 Years of Bus Transportation in Penticton
In 1900 freighting had its challenges in the South Okanagan-Similkameen Valley. The horse was king, but the road was god, and more than often the road ruled. Hal Tweddle ran a stage coach to Keremeos and Hedley from 1895 to 1910. The trip to Keremeos took two days and the trip to Princeton took four days, one way!
In the 1920's, the Arnott Stage to Osoyoos was a large nine-passenger open touring car. It carried as much mail and freight as could be crammed in next to the dust-eating passengers.
The first Greyhound bus arrived in Penticton on a Kamloops-to-Oroville trip in 1931. It was a 21-seat GM Bus with a Cadillac motor that picked up freight and passengers at McKeen's Drug Store in the 100 block of Main St.
Fred McLeod was the first Greyhound operator in the 1930's when he amalgamated a handfull of small independent freight handlers into a single service. His office and depot was on the corner of Forbes and Front St. near the court house.
Around the start of the Second World War, the depot moved to the corner of Martin Street and Naniamo Avenue, with the repair barn a few buildings south. Then in 1955, the depot moved into the Price Charles Hotel across the street.
As personal automobiles gained in popularity, Greyhound found it no longer desirable to be in the centre of town, so the depot was moved in 1965, to Ellis Street, where it is today.